The Basic Grammar Skills Tutorial course is for people who have problems in grammar, punctuation, spelling, word usage, or sentence structure. The course will help you learn new patterns to replace the old by using your own sentences as examples. The teaching, practice, and tests are based on your own writing as much as possible. It is highly individualized. The instructor carefully evaluates writing samples and prescribes study and practice based on your unique needs. You work on only the specific skills you need to learn, at your own pace. You have unlimited access to the instructor to ask questions.
The course has four thorough course cycles in it, much like four smaller courses. For each, you will send writing samples to your instructor. Your instructor will read each sample thoroughly, identify skills you need to learn, list the sentences with problems in each area with corrections showing how they should have been written, assign readings from the grammar textbook, answer any questions you have about the skills, have you practice the skills, and give you an online quiz containing sentences from your original writing sample that you must correct in ten minutes to be sure you have learned the skills. That comprises a full cycle of analysis of your writing and training in all the writing skills we identify that you need. You will go through four full cycles of this work to identify as many problems in your writing as we can and teach you the skills you need.
You may purchase the grammar textbook we use from a bookseller such as Amazon.com. However, the textbook is not required for the course. You will use online training materials to learn the skills.
Course Time: You will go through the course at your own pace, so you could complete it within a few weeks. However, you have up to four months to complete the course so you can fit the study time into your schedule. All lessons must be finished within the four-month period.
More information and registration
You will send writing samples to your instructor. Your instructor will read each sample thoroughly, identify skills you need to learn, list the sentences with problems in each area with corrections showing how they should have been written, assign readings from the grammar textbook, answer any questions you have about the skill, have you practice the skill, and give you an online quiz containing sentences from your original writing sample that you must correct in ten minutes to be sure you have learned the skills. You have unlimited access to the instructor in the course.
Your instructor will look for issues in any of the following areas and teach you the skills you need:
• Affect - Effect
• Apostrophes to Show Possession
• Commas and Periods with Quotation Marks
• Comma Overuse
• Commas in a Series
• Commas with "However," "Therefore," "Thus"
• Commas with Coordinate Adjectives
• Commas with Coordinating Conjunctions
• Commas with Dates, States, Addresses, and Numbers
• Commas with Introductory Elements
• Commas with Nonrestrictive Appositives
• Commas with Nonrestrictive Elements
• Commas with Parenthetical Elements
• Commonly Confused Word Pairs
• Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers
• Errors Unique to My Writing
• Fragment Sentences
• Gerunds, Infinitives, and Participles
• Hyphens and Dashes
• Hyphens with Compound Adjectives
• Hyphens with Numbers
• Hyphens with Prefixes and Compound Words
• Idioms and Word Usage
• Modal Auxiliary Verbs
• Mood Shift
• Number (Singular or Plural)
• Numbers Format
• Omitting Space or Inserting Too Much Space
• Parallelism in Lists and Sentences
• Passive Voice
• Pronoun Reference
• Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement
• Quotation Marks
• Run-on Sentences
• Run-ons Using "Therefore," "However"
• Simple Sentence Structures
• Simple Vocabulary
• Subject/Verb Agreement
• Tense Endings
• Tense Shifts
• "There," "Their," and "They're,"
• Using Case Correctly
• Using Key Words
• "Whom," "That," and "Which"
• Word Choice
• Word Omitted
• Word Unnecessary
• Wording Problems