The Writing Effective Business Letters course teaches you how to communicate clearly and professionally in business letters. It explains the best practices that result in high-quality business letters, provides examples and illustrations, and applies the skills to specific types of business letters.
As with the other Business Writing Center courses, the course has lessons like a college course. It is self-pacing, so you decide when to work. You send assignments to your instructor attached to an e-mail. Your instructor will evaluate your writing, comment on how well you have learned the skills, and coach you through learning anything you haven't demonstrated.
You will go through the course at your own pace, so you could complete it within a few weeks. However, you have up to two months to complete the course so you can fit the study time into your schedule. All lessons must be finished within the two-month period.
- Lesson 1: Decide your purpose and audience.
- Lesson 2: Organize your writing.
- Lesson 3: Write so your readers cannot possibly misunderstand.
- Lesson 4: Use words and sentences that readers understand easily.
- Lesson 5: Convey your message in as few words as possible.
- Lesson 6: Edit and proofread your writing.
- Lesson 7: Apply the skills to letters of request, persuasion, and response.
- Lesson 8: Apply the skills to good news and bad news letters.