The Writing for Forensic Professionals course was developed in partnership with a forensic specialist for a forensic laboratory. It teaches the skills a forensic professional needs to write clear, well-organized, professional forensic documents.
Course Contents: Writing for Forensic Professionals
- Choose strategies based on the goals and readers.
COMPETENCY EXAMINATION 1
- Write the report in blocks.
- Keep explanations of a subject together in one block.
- Check each block for focus.
- Check each block for completeness.
- Open each block with a statement of the contents.
- Use headings to open blocks.
- Bold field or data names to identify them as blocks.
COMPETENCY EXAMINATION 2
- Create lists.
- Open list blocks.
- Mark the list items clearly.
- Keep list items in a single list.
- Keep list items in the same format.
- Present information in tables when possible.
- Use key words consistently.
- Fully explain every new concept word or phrase.
COMPETENCY EXAMINATION 3
- Use paragraphs to organize information.
- Write concisely.
- Write clear, simple, straightforward sentences.
- Write strong, direct sentences.
- Use words the reader will understand.
- Use your spell checker and grammar checker.
COMPETENCY EXAMINATION 4